IOSH Managing Safely Syllabus
IOSH Managing Safely is an internationally recognised certificate which teaches managers how to effectively mange health and safety issues in their team in the workplace.
The course is consists of 7 modules and is assessed with a short test and risk assessment project.
On completion of the course, you will be able to:
- Understand your responsibilities for safety in the workplace.
- Identify common workplace hazards and their appropriate control measures.
- Estimate, evaluate and reduce risk by applying a hierarchy of risk control.
- Undertake risk assessments and accident investigations.
- Understand the requirements of HSE legislation.
- Measure and improve health and safety performance.
1. Introducing Managing Safely
- Why is it important to manage safely?
- What are your responsibilities as a manager?
2. Investigating Accidents and Incidents Safely
- How do accidents and incidents happen?
- How do you carry out an investigation?
- Why investigate accidents and incidents?
3. Human Factors
- What are human factors?
- How does human failure contribute to the cause of accidents?
4. Assessing Risk
- What is risk?
- What is a risk assessment?
- How are risk assessments carried out?
5. Controlling Risk
- How do you reduce risk?
- How do you decide which risk control to use?
6. Understanding Managers Responsibilities
- What does the law require managers to do?
- How does the law work?
- What are the key parts of a health and safety management system?
7. Common Hazards
- What are common hazards?
- What can you do about common hazards?
8. Measuring Performance
- What is performance measurement about?
- How do you measure health and safety performance?
- What is auditing?
Learners must pass a short knowledge test and a workplace risk assessment project to achieve their IOSH Managing Safely certificate.